12/07/2012

History of the Week -Victorians PART II

The next segment of my Victorians bit!! So I think we should start off with songs and poems. *clears throat* The next poem I'm going to read for you is called "Shall I be an angel, Daddy?"

One day a father to his little son
Told a sad story, a heart-breaking one,
He took from an album a photo, and said,
"This is your mother, but she's been long dead;
You she has left me to cherish and love,
She is an angel, my child, up above."
The boy in an instant drew close to his side
And these are the words that he softly replied...

Shall I be an angel, Daddy?
An angel in the sky?
Will I wear the golden wings,
And rest in peace on high?
Shall I live forever and ever
With the angels fair?
If I go to heaven, oh! tell me, Daddy,
Will I see Mother there?

*sniff sniff* A very sweet Victorian poem. There are many more but I'm not bothered :p So let's see what other subject we can talk about? Hmmm I know! How kids like you and me were treated in the Victorian times. But first I'm gonna teach ya how to con people into giving ya money: VICTORIAN style!

SHIVERING DODGE:
On a cold mornin' dress in your thinnest clothes and stand on a street corner. Start shrivin' and pleadin' for money, to buy a warm coat. Take a worn out tissue, and blow into it as if you're ill!

The rest are a bit complicated. So onto how they were treated: Well they were treated pretty badly. They worked in workhouses or as chimney sweeps and if you were a girl they would work as maids. How much were they paid? NOTHING!! I know shocking! Children as young as the age of 5 would be used as a worker and if they were injured, became ill or whatever they were sacked and a new kid would come in their place. Would they be able to get compensation? NO!
Now onto the main subject of the week: QUEEN VICTORIA!

Queen Vic: *comes on stage*
Host: I haven't called you on yet..
QV: *shrugs and sits down* One does not want to go off stage then return.
H: Oh sorry Ma'am. I guess you could say "We are not amused"
QV: To be honest with you One did not say that.
Audience: Oooooooo!
H: Now let's talk about your late husband Albert
QV: *crying* Oh ALBERT!
H: While she recovers let's just hear the love song they created.
QV: One is fine now.
H: Okay what if we talk about your empire?
QV: Well One had a pretty large empire! It was so large One had goods from all over the place. Tea from India, Cotton from the Caribbean. Well listen to this song and you'll understand
H: Ooo very nice..So Queen Vic, tell me please some funny facts about you.
QV: If you insist. People tried to assassinate me SEVEN whole times, but me being so healthy that One is, they all missed.
H: Yes your majesty you are terribly fit *sarcasm*
QV: One also had bishopophobia. I was terrified of Bishops. Oh and my son Edward had to wait a very long time to become King.
H: I'm sorry your majesty but that's all we've got time for.
====================================
MISHA: Yes a very long HOTW (History of the week) I'm still unsure about next week so keep 'em peeled for what thing I'll be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respect The Planet Earth